Upon reflection...

James Turner jamwt at jamwt.com
Thu Jun 14 19:33:01 EDT 2001

Um.

This sounds like a very idealistic way to find the "Right language
to do X."  Foolishly idealistic, maybe.

I understand that you do not want to "collect languages," but
oftentimes programmers collect them because they *are* in pursuit of
the right language for X.

Not just the right language, but the right language _for them_.

You need to collect languages first--soon you'll find yourself
tending to use one more often than the others.

It's a bit like the dating game (bad metaphor, I know...):  It's a
bad idea to just ask your friends who the best catch is, and marry
blindly.  You probably should date and get to know people yourself!

Anyway, stupid rant, but the way you're approaching finding "the
right" language sounds a bit silly to me.  I don't know if it's
possible to truly be a programmer without having dabbled so that
you really understand why you're making your choices.

Everyone's an evalgelist anyway.  You can't really find many good,
unbiased opinions cruisin' mailing lists/newgroups.

--James

PS -- Oh what the hell, I'll save you time: Python is the best. :c)

--