Python, Unicode, l8n and i18n

David LeBlanc whisper at oz.nospamnet
Sat Jun 16 00:15:14 EDT 2001

In article <9gb4vh0t22 at enews1.newsguy.com>, aleaxit at yahoo.com says...
> "David LeBlanc" <whisper at oz.nospamnet> wrote in message
> news:9gajd9$8ft$3 at 216.39.170.247...
> > Has anyone taken a look at using the International Components for Unicode
> > with/as part of Python:
>
> As ICU uses C++ (albeit minimally) I don't think it can become a part
> of Python (Python being firmly wedded to C).  *Using* it is another
> matter -- as I understand, it *does* have a C-callable interface (have
> not looked at it in detail, yet) -- and anyway it could no doubt be
> wrapped e.g. with Boost Python, CXX, or maybe even Swig.  It DOES
> appear VERY interesting if one has difficult internationalization
> needs (collation, calendar, currency, ...)!
>

> Alex

I think that ICU has a C API. I didn't mean that the ICU interface should
be exposed in Python, rather that it could be used as a ready-made
component for increasing Python's i18n and l8n features. I think those
are a good thing and i've seen some posts from other users asking for
(especially) locale specific idioms like date format, radix point
character etc.

Dave LeBlanc