ActiveX Controls in Python

David White davidw at weblink.com.au
Mon Jun 25 19:29:55 EDT 2001

"Bill Bell" <bill-bell at bill-bell.hamilton.on.ca> wrote in message news:<mailman.993481937.25861.python-list at python.org>...
> davidw at weblink.com.au (David White)	 wrote:
> > I'm a C++ programmer whose considering using Python to prototype an
> > ActiveX control. However, I can't seem to find any samples or
> > resources on implementing ActiveX controls in Python. Would anyone be
> > able to give me any pointers on how to do it?
> >
> > Also, the control will have to make heavy use of a grid control, what
> > grid controls are available that have Python interfaces?
>
> David, your message reminded me that Mark Hammond, one of the main, if
> not the main expert on this topic wrote, "Python's COM support does not
> support fully-fledged controls. The win32comext/axcontrol directory is
> the start of work in this direction, and supports many of the interfaces
> needed." I googled to find that he wrote that about 6 May (and you
> might want to read the rest of that thread).

I read the rest of the thread - and it seemed to indicate that
extending the support for ax controls wouldn't be *too* difficult.
However, I doubt I'd have time to do this. (convincing my boss to give
me time to extend Python in win32 when I'm meant to be writing a
C++/win32 application would be difficult to say the least!)

> I'm curious about what your
> control will do. Would it be possible to say? - Bill

I can't say too much about it, but basically it's a hierarchial grid,
with data being streamed into the grid from a server, and the user
being able to analyse and perform calculations on the data. I would
likely leave the server-connection bit out of the prototype, and just
use canned data. However, I'd want everything else to look as close to
possible as the final C++ implementation will be, as the main reason
I'm doing the prototype is because my boss has a penchant for
requesting whole series of "minor" changes to the user interface that
each take a couple of days to implement.

I'm really hoping I can do the prototype in Python, because I don't
want to even think about touching Visual Basic.

David White
Programmer
WebLink Pty Ltd