Any other Python flaws?

Tony J Ibbs (Tibs) tony at lsl.co.uk
Tue Jun 19 06:03:27 EDT 2001

Duncan Booth wrote:
>    BCPL Octal constants use '#', e.g. #177 and hex constants
> are '#X', e.g. #X7F, so like the dangling else, the leading
> 0 was an 'improvement' brought in post BCPL.

Yes - BCPL is another of those languages that was (in various ways) much
in advance of its descendants.

> BTW, I'm not really so sad as to still remember that much
> BCPL, I keep the BCPL book handy though in case of emergencies.

Ah - mine is at home, which is why I couldn't look it up.

ObPython: I find it interesting how many Python appreciators also fondly
remember BCPL and Algol68 (one totally untyped, and the other, well,
shall we say STRONGLY statically typed).

Tibs

Which is safer, driving or cycling?
Cycling - it's harder to kill people with a bike...