Python 2.0.1c1 - GPL-compatible release candidate

Will Ware wware at world.std.com
Fri Jun 15 07:16:20 EDT 2001

Mike C. Fletcher (mcfletch at home.com) and several others wrote:
> This is a GPL-compatible release, not a GPL release.

Doh! Never mind. Seems I *should* go back on my meds, or try
to read text at a rate more commensurate with my humble
cognitive powers.

> Forcing all extensions to be GPL-compatible is not something
> I think Guido (or anyone) is really looking to impose on
> extension writers.

Strict-GPL fans would of course consider it a virtue. IANAL and
all that, but I think it's possible to release a program
simultaneously under multiple licenses, allowing a recipient
to choose for himself which license he wishes to observe. This
might offer the best of all worlds; the GPL fans could build a
body of GPL-ware within which further derived works would be
GPLed, and other-license folks could go off and do other things.

--
 22nd century: Esperanto, geodesic | Will Ware
 domes, hovercrafts, metric system | wware at world.std.com