Learning OOP...

Alex Martelli aleaxit at yahoo.com
Sat Jun 9 17:31:57 EDT 2001

"Ron Stephens" <rdsteph at earthlink.net> wrote in message
news:3B2117AF.864050C1 at earthlink.net...
> My suggestion is learn and use Python, the cost to benefit ratio just
> can't be beat. Then, if you feel yo need more strict discipline, go on
> and learn Java or C++; the education you got form Python will hold you in
> good stead and may be the best investment you have ever made. ;-))))

Basically OK, but Java and C++ are not really the best for "strict
discipline".  They're too lax for that.  Rather, I keep suggesting
to Bondage & Disciplne fans either Eiffel (for pretty classic 'static
typing' in an OO setting), or Haskell (O'Haskell if you insist on OO)
for a taste of what static typing SHOULD be (type infererence by
the compiler, the brilliant concept of typeclasses, &c).

Alex