Not enough Python library development [was PEP scepticism]

Roman Suzi rnd at onego.ru
Fri Jun 29 16:29:58 EDT 2001

On Fri, 29 Jun 2001, Guido van Rossum wrote:

>Roman Suzi <rnd at onego.ru> writes:
>
>> Is there a formal TODO list of the libraries and respective priorities?
>
>No, although there's a PEP for small feature requests (PEP 42).
>
>If you want to start making a list of missing libraries and submit a
>PEP, please do!  I'm sure many people will want to contribute.

Python could have better CPAN than CPAN by having non-existent modules
included ;-)

import cpan.load.non_existent

will cause "NotImplemented" exceptions ;-)

I think, for having TODO list is sufficient to have Wiki somewhere and a
preamble which says what is this about and there will be lots of
suggestions...

CPyAN is much more complex task, because there are:

- security considerations
- integration with distutils
- probably, one day python will allow the "import" shown above
  (I even think it is already possible)
- dependency resolution framework...

Oh... It's already put on catalog-SIG.

>> For example, I think that some sort of standard GUI could help Python to
>> fight Java with it's Swing/AWT...
>
>This was tried many times -- there was even a GUI-sig with this goal.

>Well, propose one.  But what exactly is the point of adding it to the
>standard library when you can get mxDateTime if you need it?  I'd say
>your energy is better spent on reviving the catalog-sig (Python's
>CPAN-like effort, which needs new energy!)

catalog-sig is dead?

Sincerely yours, Roman Suzi
--
_/ Russia _/ Karelia _/ Petrozavodsk _/ rnd at onego.ru _/
_/ Friday, June 29, 2001 _/ Powered by Linux RedHat 6.2 _/