Office's Access XP ODBC DBI from PythonWin

Alex Martelli aleaxit at yahoo.com
Thu Jun 14 07:15:13 EDT 2001

"Steve Holden" <sholden at holdenweb.com> wrote in message
news:OJj8WlH9AHA.185 at cpmsnbbsa07...
> Has the Win32 odbc module been updated at all since 2.0? I have a feeling
> you might find it less than satisfactory for extended use - I've certainly
> had problems myself.

Hmmm, I did send you my partially-fixed version, yes...?

> Unfortunately the dbi.dbiDate object has a null __doc__,but I notice the
> dbi.py module requires mx.DateTime. Had you considered using mx.ODBC
instead
> of ODBC? If you don't plan commercial use it is free, and I can certainly
> recommend it for ease of use.

Seconded.  But a minimally-working free odbc would still be
a good thing IMHO.  Say I write utilities to be internally
used here at work (commercial use by mx's terms).  As long
as I run them on Windows only, I'm OK -- I can program to
ADO and connect that to whatever DB engine.  But -- no funds
for mxODBC for that use.  So -- no running my utilities on
Linux boxes.  Notch one more black mark discouraging this
spread of Linux boxes around here:-(.

Alex