How useful do you find the interactive interpreter?

Chad Everett chat at linuxsupreme.homeip.net
Sat Jun 23 23:01:25 EDT 2001

On 23 Jun 2001 17:58:18 -0700, slaytanic killer <slaytanic_killer at disinfo.net> wrote:
>Hi,
>
>I am looking at Python seriously, and I can see that the interpreter
>would be really good for testing out ideas.  Getting small things to
>work and then switching over to a text editor to generalize what I've
>learned.  Is this how people generally use it?  Or is it an even
>deeper part of coding?
>
>Thanks.

I am in the process of developing a command line interface that provides
users a set of commands and an environment that allows them to "browse"
scientific data files.  The Python interpreter is an essential part of the
application I'm developing.  I have inherited the Cmd class and have
overriden many of its methods in order to provide the command line
interface to the user.  I also give the users a way to exit the
Cmd based parser and interact with the Python interpreter directly
so that they can do their own Python scripting and manipulation of
the data objects I've created which represent the data in the scientific
data files.