Which IDE ?

VanPopering dvanpope at bookworm.suffolk.lib.ny.us
Mon Jun 18 18:57:13 EDT 2001

Which IDE would you recommend for someone *just starting out* with Python?

-I'm not a professional programmer but Im interested in learning Python
-I want to use opensource whenever possible
-For now I'm just here for the basics; some scripting etc.

I'd LOVE to use idle since its part of it and free, but I have heard that it freezes upand
has other problems...is this really a problem that it happens a lot? Are there things I can
do to avoid this - does it happen with larger more complex programs only? If it froze while
running the script and that was the only potential problem, then I'd just save it first...

	I am wondering if these were copmplaints by professional programmers who
needed and expected more...

Komodo looks interesting, but I do admit it looks like a bit much for my purposes:
I  want to write, edit, debug, and run simple python thingys

I hope I misunderstood what I had heard about Idle's short comings -

	*I dont know yet and thats why Im asking*

(I wonder what Guido uses...)

-David
David van Popering
Running Linux

	I'm not sleeping, I'm checking my eyelids for holes.