random

Mark 'Kamikaze' Hughes kamikaze at kuoi.asui.uidaho.edu
Sat Jun 2 13:41:09 EDT 2001

Sat, 2 Jun 2001 17:28:22 +0200 in <9fb0ju01a8a at enews2.newsguy.com>,
Alex Martelli <aleaxit at yahoo.com> spake:
> "David C. Ullrich" <ullrich at math.okstate.edu> wrote in message
> news:3b18ea18.332276 at nntp.sprynet.com...
>> Probably "is in a state of sin" is not well-defined.
> Presumably was meant as a humorous quip?

  IIRC, JVN wrote that in a paper on arithmetic methods of generating
pseudo-random numbers, so the word you're grasping for is "ironic".

>> I take the comment to mean that there is no "percect"
>> arithmetical RNG. It seems extremely clear to me that
>> there isn't, and I haven't heard anything that explains
>> how Chaitin's work _does_ show that there exists
>> a perfect arithemtical RNG.
> I'm not sure what you mean by "perfect" (or "percect" --
> not sure if that was a typo, and if so, whether it was for
> 'percept' or 'perfect').  If you mean one requiring an
> infinite amount of information for prediction,

  A true random number generator is not one that requires an infinite
amount of information to predict, it is one that is *impossible* to
predict, regardless of how much information you have.

  Anything else is a pale substitute.  You can have pseudo-random
algorithms with varying degrees of randomness, but they are ultimately
predictable.

  Now, if Chaitin's come up with a better PRNG, that's fine work, and
could be very useful.  But he's still "in a state of sin", because it
isn't truly random.

> Meanwhile I still see nothing 'sinful' in dealing with
> randomness finitely,

  It's simple.  If you have a pseudo-random number generator, you will
eventually repeat, and other people, given the right information, can
duplicate your random numbers.  This is, to put it mildly, not a good
thing (the word "catastrophic" comes to mind in crypto applications).

"I will tell you things that will make you laugh and uncomfortable and really
fucking angry and that no one else is telling you.  What I won't do is bullshit
you.  I'm here for the same thing you are.  The Truth." -Transmetropolitan #39