Bios calls in Python?

Alan Daniels daniels at mindspring.com
Tue Jun 5 23:01:00 EDT 2001

On Tue, 5 Jun 2001 19:46:28 -0400, Humanity let out a collective sigh
of relief when "Bill Walker" <bwalker at earth1.net> finally typed:

>Is it possible to make BIOS calls in Python (Windows version)? In
>particular, I would like to plot graphic points in EGA resolution to the
>console screen.

Depending on the version of Windows, I don't believe direct BIOS calls
to the screen are possible any longer, unless you're writing a device
driver (and that's one of the few programming tasks Python can't do).

You *could* call DirectX via Python's COM library, but unless you
already know DirectX, it would take forever to learn.

Your best option is to go get SDL (Simple DirectMedia Layer, at
http://www.libsdl.org), which, while not perfect or even 100% complete
yet, has Python bindings and lets you draw directly to the screen.