Conway's Life

Robert Amesz rcameszREMOVETHIS at dds.removethistoo.nl
Fri Jul 20 14:41:05 EDT 2001

Nick Perkins wrote:

> "Doug Newhouse" <n at .com> wrote in message
> news:3B57AF54.F909FD36 at .com... ..
>> I should be able to figure out the algorithms and stuff, it's just
>> that I have no idea how to do graphics....
> ..
>
> WxPython is a little faster, more windows-looking, has more
> sophisticated building blocks, but is a bit harder to program in
> python, for a beginner. http://www.wxpython.org/

Also, wxWindows (the C++ library on top of which wxPython is built) has
Life as one of its demo apps. Provided you know some C++ you could use
that as a basis for your program. But even if you start from scratch it
shouldn't be too hard: it's just a matter of adding a paint event
handler to a canvas or frame in which you blit some bitmaps to the
screen.

Sounds like a nice learning project. Have fun.

Robert Amesz