Language change and code breaks

Kevin Rodgers kevinmrodgers at home.com
Fri Jul 27 18:44:40 EDT 2001

Guido van Rossum wrote:

> Travis Oliphant <oliphant at ee.byu.edu> writes:
>

>>I'll just chime in to say that as one who uses Python for
>>science/engineering, I would be very unhappy not to be able to define the
>>variables h and H to mean two different things.  Engineers often uses
>>case to distinguish between the function and it's Fourier transform for
>>example.
>>

> How did engineers cope with Fortran?  Fortran has long been the
> preferred language for engineers, after C.S. folks moved on to C and
> C++...

In the late-eighties through early-nineties, I worked on a program where
we were restricted to pure-ANSI Fortran 77 - including 6-character
monocase variable names.  Yes, it was painful, but since a big part of
what I was doing involved manipulating 4-dimensional arrays of data, and
since C's support for multidimensional arrays is rather lacking (I think
the technical term is "sucks"), I'd take Fortran any day.  Even
something that you'd think C should excel at, namely concatenating
strings, is much easier in Fortran (using the // operator) than in C
(quick - write down the exact syntax for strcat() from memory).

These days, I only hack Fortran if I'm using a legacy code, but despite
its quirks, one shouldn't underestimate just how well it served its
target audience . . .

--
Kevin Rodgers
"This one goes up to eleven."  --  Nigel Tufnel