Case insensitivity

brueckd at tbye.com brueckd at tbye.com
Fri Jul 20 09:39:47 EDT 2001

On Fri, 20 Jul 2001, Sheila King wrote:

> :An editor that optionally gives warnings about names with only case
> :differences seems pretty innoccuous, though.
>
> I think this would be an excellent idea. Instead of just giving a "name
> error", generate a list of names that it might be close to? Or, if one
> appears to be a match excepting for case, ask if that other name might
> have been the intended one? A friendly error message!

I don't know if someone already posted this, but the Jikes compiler (a
Java compiler from IBM) has this feature and I love it. Here's some output
from it:

Found 1 semantic error compiling "AssignNumber.java":

   101.       extensions = m_logic.getextensions(customerID);
*** Error: No method named "getextensions" was found in type
"middleware/logic". However, there is an accessible method "getExtensions"
whose name closely matches the name "getextensions".

-Dave