PEP 238 (revised)

Peter Hansen peter at engcorp.com
Thu Jul 26 19:25:24 EDT 2001

Guido van Rossum wrote:

> Here's a completely revised version of PEP 238.

(Beautiful!  Thank you.)

[...]
>     We propose to fix this by introducing different operators for
>     different operations: x/y to return a reasonable approximation of
>     the mathematical result of the division ("true division"), x//y to
>     return the floor ("floor division").  We call the current, mixed
>     meaning of x/y "classic division".

[...]
>     - The future division statement, spelled "from __future__ import
>       division", will change the / operator to mean true division
>       throughout the module.

Would it be more logical and consistent to spell it

  from __future__ import true_division

if we are referring to these both as types of division but specifically
"classic" and "true" types?

Or maybe the opposite of "classic" should be "modern", spelled
"modern_division"?

--
Peter Hansen, P.Eng.
peter at engcorp.com