Calculus

Sheila King sheila at spamcop.net
Tue Jul 3 15:49:49 EDT 2001

Yes, it seems that Voltaire was making fun of Leibnitz. The full text of
Candide can be found here:
http://eserver.org/fiction/candide.txt

And searching within that page for "best of all" finds this passage:

Candide >  Master Pangloss taught the
Candide > metaphysico-theologo-cosmolonigology. He could prove to
Candide > admiration that there is no effect without a cause; and, that
Candide > in this best of all possible worlds, the Baron's castle was
Candide > the most magnificent of all castles, and My Lady the best of
Candide > all possible baronesses.
Candide >   "It is demonstrable," said he, "that things cannot be
Candide > otherwise than as they are; for as all things have been
Candide > created for some end, they must necessarily be created for the
Candide > best end. Observe, for instance, the nose is formed for
Candide > spectacles, therefore we wear spectacles. The legs are visibly
Candide > designed for stockings, accordingly we wear stockings. Stones
Candide > were made to be hewn and to construct castles, therefore My
Candide > Lord has a magnificent castle;....

and there is more, too, searching within the document on that same
phrase.  ;)

I guess someone didn't find Leibnitz' philosophy so convincing!

--
Sheila King
http://www.thinkspot.net/sheila/

On Tue, 3 Jul 2001 13:38:20 -0500, Kemp Randy-W18971
<Randy.L.Kemp at motorola.com> wrote in comp.lang.python in article