A use for integer quotients

Moshe Zadka moshez at zadka.site.co.il
Mon Jul 23 06:18:38 EDT 2001

On Sun, 22 Jul 2001 23:42:03 -0700, Erik Max Francis <max at alcyone.com> wrote:

> Or you could not change it in the first place, eliminate the transition
> period requirement, keep Python's integer division operator consistent
> with other languages

non-issue. Many other languages do division correctly - Scheme, Perl and
Tcl, for instance.

> like it already was, not have to worry about the PR
> hit it is going to necessarily take ("In Python the meaning of the
> builtin operators change every third release!  What a crock"), and
> prevent experienced Python programmers from shaking their heads in
> confusion and wonder.
>
> I simply cannot believe that the benefit that will be gained will be
> worth the price in inconvenience.

Here we must agree to disagree. Guido thinks that the benefits it
will give to Python readability are big enough, and I happen to
agree with him.
--
gpg --keyserver keyserver.pgp.com --recv-keys 46D01BD6 54C4E1FE
Secure (inaccessible): 4BD1 7705 EEC0 260A 7F21  4817 C7FC A636 46D0 1BD6