garbage collector

Delaney, Timothy tdelaney at avaya.com
Thu Jul 26 20:00:57 EDT 2001

Sounds to me that

a) You're keeping all your data in memory, leading to massive memory use and
lots of deallocations at program end

b) You're probably thrashing the hard drive (virtual memory)

(b) Would lead to both excessive runtimes and excessive collection times. Is
it really vital that you keep all you data in memory at one time? Can't you
re-use object instances, or at least allow them to be deleted when no longer
needed? Two things could help here - don't hold everything in global
(module-level) dictionaries, and use the del keyword when you know you are
finished with a reference.

Tim Delaney