A use for integer quotients

John W. Baxter jwbaxter at spamcop.com
Mon Jul 23 10:41:55 EDT 2001

In article <cpzo9veuml.fsf at cj20424-a.reston1.va.home.com>, Guido van
Rossum <guido at python.org> wrote:

> Of course, I'm well aware of the issues around maintaining old code.
> We will have to carry around "from __future__ import division" for a
> loooooong time.  Python 2.2 is the first opportunity to introduce it,
> so let's not be shy.

This is encouraging and discouraging:

Encouraging in that it suggests strongly that 2.3 isn't the target;
discouraging in that it gives running code even longer to sit in the
basement with people who know it moving on before it breaks.

It's also discouraging because it means the change does seem to be on
the way, with argument useless.

  --John