Scripting vs. whatever, again (was Re: Long Live Python!)

Grant Edwards grante at visi.com
Thu Jul 12 22:33:39 EDT 2001

On Thu, 12 Jul 2001 21:57:26 -0400, Peter Hansen <peter at engcorp.com> wrote:

>> ...then would want to argue about the difference between a "script"
>> and a "program".  I see it this way, if a script is only,
>> "Automating a sequence of operations" -- C programs are scripts --
>> there must be more to it, eh.

I interpret "scripting" as automating a series of operations
that would probably be done interactively by a user otherwise.

An FFT isn't a script, even though its an automated sequence of
operations.

Deleting all the files named *.bak that are older than 24 hours
is more "script like" since it's something that might be easily
(if tediously) done interactively with a file browser or
command prompt.

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow!  I wonder if I ought
                                  at               to tell them about my