Eiffel better than Python ?

Tim Hammerquist tim at vegeta.ath.cx
Wed Jul 4 02:26:49 EDT 2001

Aahz Maruch <aahz at panix.com> wrote:
> In article <qRq07.9790$Wc.6458460 at nnrp4.proxad.net>,
> Dublanc, David <ddublanc at free.fr> wrote:
> >
> >What is exactly weak typing ? I believed that Python was weak typing !

For those that don't know what this does:

> perl -e "print '1' + '1'"

This applies Perl's addition operator to two "strings" composed of digits.
Returns 2.

> perl -e "print 1 . 1"

This applies the concatenation operator to two constant numbers.
This returns 11.

This is due to Perl's (intentional) conversion between numbers and
strings when context (a very important Perl concept) implies it.

You may not agree with this, but it's a matter of personal preference.
It should not involve the preference of a strange author bashing some
other language.

Java, Pike, Perl, Jython, PHP, Ruby. Each has its strengths and
weaknesses.  Each has its share of supporters and bashers. (I gleefully
bash Java. =)

<Rant>
While a good deal of time on comp.lang.perl.misc is spent bashing
newbies, I've not once seen a Python-bashing post. I _have_, however,
seen quite a few posts endorsing Python as an alternative.  These
posters are not bashed.
</Rant>

To the OP:
If you know what you want in a language, look around till you find it.
If you don't know what you want in a language, use several; see what you
like.

Q: If you ask a man on a basketball court if he likes basketball, what
is he likely to say?

Q: If you ask a Python newsgroup if they think Python is worthwhile,
what are they likely to say?

Inordinately apropos random quotation follows:

--
-Tim Hammerquist <timmy at cpan.org>
Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone else's