MySQLdb not reading ~/.my.cnf ?

Dennis Schoen dennis at cobolt.net
Mon Jul 9 16:40:26 EDT 2001

Hi all,

I'm trying to connect to a mysql db from a python script. I can
connect without any problem when i add explicitly the username and
passwd like this:

db = MySQLdb.connect(db=sys.argv[1], user=sys.argv[2], passwd=sys.argv[3])

coming from perl I like the idea of ~/my.cnf, but when i just ommit the
parameters I get:

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "./stuff/check_texbroker.py", line 50, in ?
    db = MySQLdb.connect()
  File "/usr/local/lib/python2.1/site-packages/MySQLdb/__init__.py", line 60, in Connect
    return apply(Connection, args, kwargs)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python2.1/site-packages/MySQLdb/connections.py", line 58, in __init__
    self._db = apply(connect, args, kwargs2)
_mysql_exceptions.OperationalError: (1045, "Access denied for user: 'dennis at localhost' (Using password: NO)")

My ~/my.cnf file works fine, when used from other applications.

Is there something I need to add or is there simply no easy way for doing this?

Python is 2.1 and MySQLdb is 0.9.0

Thanks
	Dennis
--
"The Idea Is Good But The World Isn't Ready Yet"