Time for a Python "distribution" ? was:Not enough Python library development

Skip Montanaro skip at pobox.com
Thu Jul 5 19:22:21 EDT 2001

    Paul> You could imagine something like:

    Paul> import "http://Numeric.sourceforge.net/numeric.tar.gz"

Well, not quite.  Actually, you'd still execute

    import Numeric

but sys.path would include

    http://Numeric.sourceforge.net/

as a directory to search...

    Paul> But nobody is working on that right now.

People can import from zip archives now.  I doubt it would take a lot of
extra effort to import from a website.  The biggest problems would be
performance (of the initial import - one would hope you'd cache the fetched
results) and security (I'm not sure I would want to blindly import something
from the net unless I could be sure it had been blessed by the BDFL).

--
Skip Montanaro (skip at pobox.com)
(847)971-7098