Really Python leaks?

Vesselin Iliev Peev VesselinPeev at operamail.com
Wed Jul 18 08:57:44 EDT 2001

I just used the new version of Insure++ 6.0 (a debugging and memory analysis
tool).
I've been amazed that there were leaks reported in a simple application of
mine that embeds Python. The application is really simple (i.e I simplified it
to reduce the chance of error) and is equivalent to the embedding example
under the demo directory of the new Python 2.0.1 source distribution. I
correctly initialize and shut down the interpreter.

I hope this is somehow not true, and perhaps Insure++ is incorrectly reporting
these, but has anyone tested Python in this way with a similar tool?

I'm using Visual C++ 6.0 Service Pack 5. By the way, the interesting thing is
that there are a few leaks in the runtime library, too.

If this letter seems impertinent or incompetent to some of you, please excuse
me and tell me why.
I'm new to Python and just decided to ask.