Python for air traffic control?

D-Man dsh8290 at rit.edu
Mon Jul 2 16:43:19 EDT 2001

On Mon, Jul 02, 2001 at 01:06:57PM -0700, Russ wrote:
| What would be very desirable for Python is some kind of static checker
| that can guarantee BEFORE run time that all procedures are called
| correctly. Does anyone know of anything that does that?

PyChecker.  Note that this is a tool, it is not part of the language.
The language should be kept clean, simple, and usable while the tools
should be made to identify all sorts of errors in the code (such as
lint for C).

Unit tests are a very good thing, anyways.

I think that python is excellent for mission critical usage (except
where speed is crucial, of course) because it is easier to use and the
probability of subtle bugs is lower than a language such as, say, C or
Perl.  The problem with using C or C++ would be the low level details
that need to be managed (like memory, etc) and the problem of missing
the forest in the trees.  This isn't to say that C and C++ are bad,
just that they have their cons.

-D