Ints and performance (was Re: PEP0238 lament)

Peter Hansen peter at engcorp.com
Fri Jul 27 21:45:39 EDT 2001

Guido van Rossum wrote:

> Peter Hansen <peter at engcorp.com> writes:
>
> > That is my point, though.  These integer optimizations are, as we
> > agree, a clear win.  Are these optimizations in danger of being impacted
> > as a result of this unification, or will we still be able to count
> > on integer performance being significantly better than that of
> > less frequently used types.
>
> What Tim was trying to say was that under the covers we will still use
> different representations so this kind of optimization will still be
> possible.

(Voice of Homer Simpson) Woo-hoo!

Thanks for the clarification.  (The fact that it wasn't more
clear to me after Tim's reply should be taken solely as evidence
that the advanced understanding of numerical processing possessed
by the Python core developers is so far beyond my own level that
we should have total faith in their ability to lead the Python
movement. ;-)

--
Peter Hansen, P.Eng.
peter at engcorp.com