Python for air traffic control?

Bruce Sass bsass at freenet.edmonton.ab.ca
Mon Jul 2 01:14:30 EDT 2001

On Sun, 1 Jul 2001, Magnus Lie Hetland wrote:

> "Russ" <18k11tm001 at sneakemail.com> wrote in message
> news:bebbba07.0106291642.6c799d15 at posting.google.com...
> > I am thinking about using Python for a unique safety-critical
> > application in air traffic control. It will monitor a few hundred
<...>
> Just an amusing parallel... A snippet from the current JDK
> (Java) license:
>
> --- begin ---
> 8.1 Licensee acknowledges that Licensed Software may contain errors
> and is not designed or intended for use in the design, construction,
> operation or maintenance of any nuclear facility ("High Risk
> Activities"). Sun disclaims any express or implied warranty
> of fitness for such uses. Licensee represents and warrants to Sun
> that it will not use, distribute or license the Licensed Software for
> High Risk Activities.

You see the same sort of thing with electronics components, the
manufacturer doesn't want to be responsible when someone's
home-brewed-from-off-the-shelf-parts EKG experiment goes wrong.

Has Python made a list of software approved for air traffic-control
use, or is there no such thing for atc software?

- Bruce