Language change and code breaks

Steven D. Majewski sdm7g at Virginia.EDU
Wed Jul 18 21:54:43 EDT 2001

On Wed, 18 Jul 2001, Guido van Rossum wrote:

> But it's still open for debate whether the problem here is Windows or
> Unix!  All programming languages and file systems used to be
> case-insensitive, until the designers of Unix and C decided that it
> was too much work to write and use a case-insensitive comparison
> routine.  It wasn't necessarily intended to be better, just easier to
> implement.  But times have changed, and that's a lousy excuse.

Now that we're in a new century, I think it's time to update to a
new excuse!  How about:

 Now that everyone's making the transition to multiple language support,
unicode and multiple encodings, how to you portably define/implement
case-insensitive comparison?

-- sdm