Problem with getting events from a DCOM server

Krzysztof Czarnowski Krzysztof.Czarnowski at dgt-lab.com.pl
Wed Jul 25 12:58:20 EDT 2001

My goal is to develop a simple pipeline application to integrate an older
component which exposes a DCOM interface into a newer CORBA-driven system.
Specifically, the task is to receive DCOM events and push them forward into
a COS Event Service Channel. Python seems to be an ideal tool for this task
due to its nice COM support under Windows and CORBA support (e.g.
omniORBpy). However I got stuck at the very beggining!

I looked at win32com\client\__init__.py and followed examples in __doc__'s.
My typical interactive session is attached in "interactive.txt". After that
my Python client object was connect to the actual server -- I was able to
get data and perform some actions on the remote object. But I was receiving
no events! At the same time a simple VB client (attached: "formCWAXVB.frm",
"CWAXVB.vbp") keeps receiving them continually! And the production console
too! (This proves at least that my computer is properly configured...)

My platform: NT4.0 FP6, Python 2.0, win32all (originally I think build 133,
later uninstalled and reinstalled build 135).

Further remarks:

1. I tried the example in getevents().__doc__ -- it works.

2. In makepy-generated file (attached:
"D3FD3B53-11A9-11D3-BB41-009027163F7Ex0x1x0.py") I find duplicated
definition of class _clsSterCW (lines 23 and 122). This is weird! When
stepped in the debugger I can see that it is the second definition that gets
through (naturally!). But the constructor of DispatchBaseClass seems to
execute only QueryInterface() and no FindConnectionPoint() and Advise()! The
code in the first definition of _clsSterCW (lines 26-34 and 40-45) looks
more reasonable (but of course it is never executed!). I'm confused...

3. On Mark Hammond's page (http://starship.python.net/crew/mhammond/) I
noticed the following remark:

"If you are frustrated with a bug in the Python COM support that prevents
some COM events from being delivered to your code, see here for an update"

I followed the link and (with some effort) figured out that upgrading to
win32all build 135 could solve my problem. It did not. Parhaps I should
upgrade to Python 2.1.1 and win32all 140? Good idea?

Any suggestions are welcome!
Krzysztof

Krzysztof Czarnowski, Dr. Ing.
DGT-LAB: