Python for air traffic control?

William Park opengeometry at yahoo.ca
Tue Jul 3 02:02:54 EDT 2001

On Mon, Jul 02, 2001 at 09:44:04PM -0700, Russ wrote:
> Just for the record, Mr. Park is publicly posting my private replies
> to him. I guess I should have expected something like that from him.
> I'm sure you all understand that I don't like being called an "idiot"
> for asking a general question about the suitability of Python for a
> certain type of application.
>
> Also for the record, it is probably unlikely that Python will actually
> be used for the application I mentioned. It is not yet considered an
> "established" language by the FAA. However, I am open to new ideas and
> I am willing to advocate it if I am convinced that it is the right
> language for the job. Before doing so, however, I need to be fairly
> sure.
>
> You must also understand, of course, that the safety-critical
> application I am referring will not actually be deployed in a critical
> mode for several years at least, during which time it will be
> thoroughly and completely tested. Believe me, I'm talking about more
> testing than you think. It will first be used for years as a
> non-critical back-up for (human) controllers before it is ever used as
> a primary means of assuring separation.
>
> As for Mr. Park's childish question about "which city I work at," what
> can I say? Here in the U.S., ATC is obviously the responsibility of
> the federal government. I suggest he move to Mongolia so he can be
> safe. (That don't have access to comp.lang.python there, do they?)

On your original post, you came across as a high-schooler with homework.
Now, it's becoming clear... a propaganda by fucking trolls.

You obviously already made up your mind, judging by the language and the
premise of your argument.  For a guy who claims to be at graduate level,
you exhibit unusual talent for deflecting questions and inability to
provide details.

So, go way.

--
William Park, Open Geometry Consulting, <opengeometry at yahoo.ca>
8 CPUs cluster, (Slackware) Linux, Python, LaTeX, Vim, Mutt, Sc.