Case insensitivity

Michael Abbott michael at rcp.co.uk
Fri Jul 20 03:07:32 EDT 2001

"Guido van Rossum" <guido at python.org> wrote in message
news:cpvgkofyru.fsf at cj20424-a.reston1.va.home.com...
> To me, the only real important question is, how can we introduce
> case-sensitivity for novices without breaking the millions of lines of
> existing Python code.  One option could be: forget it, it's too late.
> Another: put the case-insensitivity in the tools.

Please reassure me that this means what I think it does: you want to update
Python so that a future version of the language supports two modes, case
insensitive for beginners and case sensitive for experts?

If so, please go ahead, and let me carry on, as an expert, using case to
make important, subtle but useful distinctions.

If your desire is to move the language to being case insenstive for all of
us: please don't.  Really.  Please.