reading sockets

Ken Mugrage kmugrageREMOVE at hotmail.com
Wed Jul 4 19:30:45 EDT 2001

Sorry for the newbie question, but I'm just learning python and trying to
write a small program that uses sockets.

Basically, I wam to emulate the perl behavior of reading the response from
the server one line at a time.

In perl, I would do something like

while(<SOCKET>) {
    print $_;
}

and it would print everything as it is sent, one line at a time.

In Python, I have something like

while 1:
  data = mysocket.recv(1024)
  print data

which of course print everything in 1024 byte blocks.

I tried using string.split( data, "\n") but the results are inaccurate,
since the end of data may be in the middle of a line.