Troubles With McMillan Installer

Gordon McMillan gmcm at hypernet.com
Wed Jul 11 09:20:58 EDT 2001

[posted and mailed]

Mike Cravitz wrote:

>When trying to run the executable created by Simple.py (followed by
>the install step), I get the message "ImportError: No module named
>mxDateTime". The directory containing the installed software looks
>like this...

What version of Python? What version of Installer? What version of
mxDateTime?

[snipped]

>So I renamed mx.DateTime.mxDateTime.mxDateTime.pyd to simply
>mxDateTime.pyd and got a traceback of "mxDateTime.Error: no current
>time API set".

[snip]

>====start of traceback BEFORE rename of
>====mx.DateTime.mxDateTime.mxDateTime.pyd to
>====mxDateTime.pyd
>
>D:\temp\stuff>wxptest
[snip]
>  File "H:\Applications\CRT\Client\crtQueryRefno.py", line 5, in ?
>    from mx.DateTime import *
[snip]
>  File "h:\python\lib\mx\DateTime\__init__.py", line 8, in ?
>    from DateTime import *
[snip]
>  File "h:\python\lib\mx\DateTime\DateTime.py", line 9, in ?
>    from mxDateTime import *
>  File "H:\python\installer\support\imputil.py", line 91, in
>_import_hook
>    raise ImportError, 'No module named ' + fqname
>ImportError: No module named mxDateTime

I don't think DateTime.py is trying to import mxDateTime.pyd.
It's trying to import mxDateTime.__init__.py.

Since the license change, I haven't kept up with the mx packages.
They're not freely redistributable, so I have no business building
in hooks to redistribute them.

My guess is that in DateTime.__init__.py you'll find some code
that makes the package structure as seen by Python different
from the package structure on disk, probably for platform-specific
reasons.

- Gordon