Python 2 times slower than Perl

Andrew MacIntyre andymac at bullseye.apana.org.au
Wed Jul 18 19:06:50 EDT 2001

On 18 Jul 2001, Johann Hibschman wrote:

> I get:
>
> cc -O2       0.28
> cc           0.62
> ocamlopt     1.26   (compiled)
> ocaml        9.42   (interpreted)
> perl        28.9
> python      66.8
>
> Hm.  I'm beginning to wonder if I compiled python with -O2 or not.
> Plus, I'm becoming more and more fond of ocaml.

I noticed a couple of recent comments on python-dev about the assert()s
not being generally deactivated (by defining NDEBUG) when the releases
were built (at least for Unix - I think Windows was OK).

Given the assert() instrumentation being littered through the Python
source, it would be interesting to quantify what its impact is (I haven't
done this yet for the OS/2 port, but plan to with 2.1.1)

E-mail: andrew.macintyre at aba.gov.au    (work) | Snail: PO Box 370
        andymac at bullseye.apana.org.au  (play) |        Belconnen  ACT  2616
        andymac at pcug.org.au           (play2) |        Australia