no traceback??

Rainy sill at optonline.net
Mon Jul 23 01:05:55 EDT 2001

On Mon, 23 Jul 2001 02:02:42 GMT, Terry Reedy <tjreedy at home.com> wrote:

> "Rainy" <sill at optonline.net> wrote in message
> news:slrn9lmd1p.1jk.sill at sill.silmarill.org...
>> Hello,
>>
>> My program (http://silmarill.org/cymbaline/cymbaline/cymbaline.py -
> yes,
>> it's repeated 3 times, that's not an error) works fine in 2.1 but
> exits
>> silently in 2.0 - no traceback, no errors, nothing. One possibility
> I checked
>> for is except (something): sys.exit() and I don't have anything like
> that here.
>> What else could it be?
>
> The only major innovation of 2.1 that I remember is nested scopes,
> which only operate if you 'import' them.  Maybe one of the minor fixes
> is saving you.  No one is going to read 100s of lines for you, so I
> suggest adding print statements to see where you get to and what
> values are changed.  Start in the if main section.

Well, I'm asking in a general way, i.e. why could there be no traceback or
error? This is not right. I mean, if a program runs into a problem, it should
print some sort of feedback, at worst, a segfault? I haven't run into cases
like this before when *NOTHING* is printed. In general, what sort of errors
just quit silently?

get it at: http://silmarill.org/cymbaline