Future division patch available (PEP 238)

Glen Wheeler wheelege at tsn.cc
Mon Jul 23 07:02:08 EDT 2001

----- Original Message -----
From: "Stephen Horne" <steve at lurking.demon.co.uk>
Newsgroups: comp.lang.python
To: <python-list at python.org>
Sent: Monday, July 23, 2001 2:34 PM
Subject: Re: Future division patch available (PEP 238)
> Mathematically, integer division should be the inverse of integer
> multiplication, with no extra functionality bar the need to allow for
> the remainder. Well shock horror - that's exactly what we've got now
> and exactly what we're throwing away.

  I don't know about that, I think your just splurting exaggeration here.
Even though I do agree with you, I do not think Guido's big plan is to
remove integer division.
  However, I seem to remember a list of things Tim wrote about python - one
of them that stuck was 'Explicit is better than implicit'.  If I give
integer arguments to the / operator, I fully expect integer division to
occur.  If I want float I'll ask for it, explicitly.
  Either way, python will still be my language of choice.

  Glen.