Hello,

Lee Nutter leenutter at australia.edu
Sat Jul 21 13:10:37 EDT 2001

Hello!,

I have only been subscribed to this list three days, this is my first
message :)

Anyway, im just messing here, not doing anything in particular, just
playing with what I have learned in an attempt to learn the language.

Anyway, I decided to make a module that handles errors for me. Its not
likely my projects are going to be complex enough for me to need it for
a while, but I thought it would be fun none the less [and a learning
experience, of course :) ]

In the Python docs, it mentions that open("file", "a") allows you to use
write() to append strings at the bottom of a file. But I wanted my error
handler to do it the other way round, add the newest entries to the top.
[I've already been told this is wrong, and it should be the other way
round anyway, but I want to be different. And anyhow, im only messing. :) ]

I came up with this code after a little messing around :

def LogError(msg):
   err = open("./error.log", "r")
   old = err.readlines()
   err.close()
   err = open("./error.log", "w")
   wri = msg
   i = 0
   p = len(old)
   while i < p:
     wri = wri + old[i]
     i = i + 1
   err.write(wri)
   err.close

This works, but I have been told it will be slow if error.log gets big,
Is there another way to do this?

Anyway, Thanks for any replies!

Kind Regards,

Lee Nutter