Not enough Python library development [was PEP scepticism]

Harry George hgg9140 at seanet.com
Mon Jul 2 17:42:22 EDT 2001

Justin Sheehy <justin at iago.org> writes:

> Guido van Rossum <guido at python.org> writes:
>
> >> It could be also interesting to have time module as powerful as mxDateTime
> >> in standard library. And so on.
> >
> > Well, propose one.  But what exactly is the point of adding it to the
> > standard library when you can get mxDateTime if you need it?
>
> There's a huge amount of value in having a module that is known to be
> the de facto standard for a given use added to the standard library.

And there are costs.  I also have to write apps used on multiple
platforms, and I'd like 4Suite, Numeric, ScientificPython, xoltar,
pyrecode, pyqt/kde/gtk/gnome, and a few others always available.  But
instead of making them part of the std (and thus making releases more
difficult, I'd prefer to have a tool which obtains and installs them
based on a preference list I supply.  apt-get or something like that
(it has to be source tarball based).

--
Harry George
hgg9140 at seanet.com