Tuple Semantics - Rationale'?

Tim Daneliuk tundra at tundraware.com
Thu Jul 12 13:20:02 EDT 2001

Steve Holden wrote:

> "Aahz Maruch" <aahz at panix.com> wrote in message
> news:9ij8ss$puj$1 at panix2.panix.com...
> > In article <3B4CA0A8.20B53230 at tundraware.com>,
> > Tim Daneliuk  <tundra at tundraware.com> wrote:
> > >
> > >Supposed I did want 0 argument pairs in that tuple, but I wanted to
> prepare
> > >the way for adding some later.  Would I use:
> > >
> > >        (()), (), ((,)) ???
> >
> > Um.  Tuples are immutable.  How do you add more later?
>
> With a text editor: he's talking about modifying constant data structures as
> design proceeds.

Right, I'm using this structure as an entry in a Jump Table for a command
interpreter.  I want to be able to add recognized commands and/or features
simply by changing/adding things in the table.

This thread has been illunminating on a couple of levels.  If I may
summarize:

1) The syntatic constructor for tuples is ',' not '(' - the latter being
   just another grouping character. (Someone pointed  out the former in
   a private email, and it all suddenly made sense).

2) There is some stylistic difference of opinion when/where it is advisable
   to depart from a complex data structure and start using a class instead.

Tim Daneliuk
tundra at tundraware.com