PEP: Support for "wide" Unicode characters

Marcin 'Qrczak' Kowalczyk qrczak at knm.org.pl
Sun Jul 1 15:27:32 EDT 2001

Thu, 28 Jun 2001 15:33:00 -0700, Paul Prescod <paulp at ActiveState.com> pisze:

>     In order to avoid imposing this cost on every
>     user, Python 2.2 will allow 4-byte Unicode characters as a
>     build-time option. Users can choose whether they care about
>     wide characters or prefer to preserve memory.

I don't like it. Scripts will work under some builds of Python and
not work in others.

> Rejected Suggestions

>     The other class of solution is to use some efficient storage
>     internally but present an abstraction of wide characters
>     to the programmer. Any of these would require a much more complex
>     implementation than the accepted solution.

But will work, as opposed to working only sometimes.

If memory consumption is really a problem, I would definitely hide
varying character sizes as an implementation detail.

--
 __("<  Marcin Kowalczyk * qrczak at knm.org.pl http://qrczak.ids.net.pl/
 \__/