Distributed computing using SOAP. What about speed ?

Peter Caven p.caven at ieee.org
Fri Jul 27 00:01:19 EDT 2001

"Thomas Weholt" <thomas at gatsoft.no> wrote in message
news:h3R77.130$bXi.170753536 at news.telia.no...
> From the responses to my question it seems like SOAP and XML-RPC might not
> fit the bill at all. Corba and similar solutions are mentioned. But my
> What are my options? How hard could it be to create a custom protocoll for
> distributing addresses of running nodes among the nodes themselves in a
> effective manner?

IMO your performance bottleneck will not be due to using SOAP at all. I have
participated in the development of similar systems using both DCOM and SOAP
and I can say with some certainty that the overhead of using SOAP is very
small compared to the many other performance issues that you will encounter.
Getting your application to scale up from a few nodes to many nodes will be
your major challenge.
So go ahead and just try it!. It's fairly easy to build something quickly
using SOAP so that you can decide for yourself if it's appropriate. In fact
you don't even need to use SOAP at all for a simple evaluation. Just define
an XML interchange format and start building the other pieces around that.

-- Peter