python vs kung fu

Kemp Randy-W18971 Randy.L.Kemp at motorola.com
Tue Jul 17 10:07:44 EDT 2001

Kung Fu! Karate! Jujitsu. Aikido.
Python.  Perl.  Java.  PHP.
Now I wouldn't want to get into a fight with anyone who is a black belt from
the major four martial arts.  But given a preference, I would choose Aikido,
since it redirects the attackers force.
But some people like debates that lead nowhere, and language debates are a
key example.  Now smart software developers actually appeal to all the major
camps.  Let's look at the open source database sapdb at www.sapdb.org.  They
actually have developed interfaces for Java, Perl, and Python.  Rather then
saying one language is better, they opened the spectrum to what they feel
are the major players.  And activestate at www.activestate.com has developed
tools and language versions for Perl, Python, and TCL.
Language debates remind me of the old joke about life in Communist Russia.
A supervisor saw a worker digging a hole, and another filling it up.  After
this happened with a dozen holes, he went over and asked what was going on.
They replied that the one worker who plants the trees is sick, but they
still wanted to be productive for the day.