Python Idiom Question

Chris Barker chrishbarker at home.net
Tue Jul 10 12:33:34 EDT 2001

Steve Holden wrote:

> > The approved idiom is
> while 1:
>     x = raw_input()
>     if not x:
>         break
>     DoSomethingInteresting()

This is the approved idiom, but I never use it. I always use:

x = raw_input()
while x:
    x = raw_input()
    DoSomethingInteresting()
    x = raw_input()

I really don't like any "while 1" constructs, you have to then go
looking for the "break" to find out what is controlling the loop. I
don't like having to put "x = raw_input" in two places either, but it's
more clear to me this way. That's why I wish Python had a "do until:" or
something like it, and I am looking forward to  iterators and
generators. (and am very ahppy about file.xreadlines)

-Chris

--
Christopher Barker,
Ph.D.