A use for integer quotients

Stephen Horne steve at lurking.demon.co.uk
Mon Jul 23 21:28:51 EDT 2001

On Mon, 23 Jul 2001 18:44:08 -0400, "Tim Peters" <tim at digicool.com>
wrote:

>[Stephen Horne]
>> We can't exactly match mathematics here, but we don't have to go so
>> far as having different symbols for integer and float division -
>> mathematics uses the same set of symbols for both operations allowing
>> the context choose the operator.
>
>This isn't so.  Mathematicians are careful to specify floor or ceiling
>explicitly when they intend division to lose information, depending on

Which has nothing to do with creating new division operators - it is
merely something added to existing notation when required. Of course
if you think Python notation needs to explicitly support that
capability too then that is clearly an arguable case for creating new
notation to support this new functionality. It has only a superficial
connection to the issue at hand, however.