PEP0238 lament

Johann Hibschman johann at physics.berkeley.edu
Wed Jul 25 13:23:14 EDT 2001

Michael Abbott writes:

> Hmm.  I see to my embarrasment that I missed the parentheses in your sig.
> I don't think I quite get your point though, since I though that LISP
> programming was done using the language in your sig (which certainly does
> suffer from a surfiet of brackets).  (I'd better confess right away that
> I've never written more than about a page of code in LISP, and that was
> just a baby exercise.)

The point (I think) is that the Scheme standard defines Scheme in
terms of character sequences, so parentheses are important tokens.
Common Lisp defines CL in terms of lists of data, a higher-level
concept, with no explicit character-based parsing.

I'm probably mangling the argument a bit, but it's really only a point
of interest to Erik Naggum.  :-)

--J

Johann Hibschman                           johann at physics.berkeley.edu