Language change and code breaks

John W. Baxter jwbaxter at spamcop.com
Thu Jul 26 00:41:21 EDT 2001

In article <23891c90.0107250210.2e37ca61 at posting.google.com>, Paul
Boddie <paul at boddie.net> wrote:

> I'm fairly sure that I don't get personal e-mails (going via my
> particular mail provider) when the capitalisation of parts of my
> address is changed. Not that I regard this as desirable, but I no
> longer regard it as surprising.

Per the various RFCs, the domain part of the address is case
insensitive, and the local part can be either case sensitive or not as
the site desires--meaning that the intermediate transport had better
preserve local part case.  I've never had an account with a case
sensitive local part, thankfully.

I shudder to think of a programming language with rules like that (I
suppose in Python the =  would divide the two rule sets; in Pascal the
:=).

  --John (the accidental smiley worked quite well, in retrospect)