Is Python Dead? Long Live Python!

Kemp Randy-W18971 Randy.L.Kemp at motorola.com
Thu Jul 12 09:04:17 EDT 2001

I mentioned in a previous listing that someone else on the list made that
statement, and I was raising a question, given that the information was
true.  But I also have my doubts.  PHP is also competing for the market with
JSP, ASP, and Cold Fusion, and you can run JSP (with Tomcat) and ASP (with
Win doze and IIS) for nothing.  Ruby is still mainly used in Japan, and not
outside that country. There is a good test of how popular something is.
Walk into a big book store that carries technical books (Border's is an
example in the US), or a web outlet like www.amazon.com.  Count how many
books are on a topic: Perl, Java, Python, Ruby, PHP, ASP, etc.  It may not
be foolproof, but it is a good start. And yes -- I am a big Python fan, even
though I don't get a chance to use it as frequently as others on this list.