Implementation of popen() with timeout

Tom Harris tomh at optiscan.com
Sun Jul 1 23:43:58 EDT 2001

Greetings

I want to use one of the popen() functions to call an external program and
capture the output, but I would like to have the facility to kill the
external program if it does not complete within a specific time.
Unfortunately I am using NT. Options appear to be to use the Win32 API to
write my own, as the popen source looks fierce code. Any ideas?

 Tom Harris, Software Engineer
 Optiscan Imaging, 15-17 Normanby Rd, Notting Hill, Melbourne, Vic 3168,
Australia
 email tomh at optiscan.com     ph +61 3 9538 3333  fax +61 3 9562 7742

This email may contain confidential information. If you have received this
email in error, please delete it immediately,and inform us of the mistake by
return email. Any form of reproduction, or further dissemination of this
email is strictly prohibited.
Also, please note that opinions expressed in this email are those of the
author, and are not necessarily those of OptiScan Pty Ltd