PEP0238 lament

Erik Max Francis max at alcyone.com
Wed Jul 25 12:37:47 EDT 2001

Guido van Rossum wrote:

> As long as the -D option can change the defaults, all library code
> needs to keep the __future__ division statement.

In this case (where Python language changes start happening to the point
where a program has to declare the language features it plans to use),
wouldn't a syntax such as

	directive float_division

make more sense?  I think the __future__ syntax is quite acceptable for
short-term hacks (i.e., you want to use a feature that's being
introduced but is not the default yet), but if such changes become
commonplace it seems that a more fundamental notation might be
preferable.

/  \ Why don't you grow up for crying out loud?
\__/ Capt. Benjamin "Hawkeye" Pierce
    Computer science / http://www.alcyone.com/max/reference/compsci/
 A computer science reference.